Noravank Monastery

Noravank (meaning "New Monastery") was founded in 1205 by Bishop Hovhannes. The monastery is famous for its two-storied St. Astvatsatsin (Holy Mother of God) church, which grants access to the second floor by way of narrow stones jutting out from the face of building. The architect Siranes and the miniature painter and sculptor Momik worked here in the end of the 13th and early 14th century. Ruins of various civil buildings and khachkars (cross-stones) are found both inside and outside of the compound walls. In the 13th–14thcenturies the monastery became a residence of Syunik's bishops and, consequently a major religious and, later, cultural center of Armenia closely connected with many of the local seats of learning, especially with Gladzor's famed university and library.